Sunday, April 17, 2011

BANANA!!!!

It finally arrived! After ordering and waiting for the weather to be nice enough for them to ship and it finally arrived!! I got my banana plant (yes, it's technically an herb and therefore, a plant, not a tree) from Going Bananas down in Homestead, FL. I've heard their store is actually really cool, but Boston to FL is a long trip for just a banana plant, so I'll have to come up with another excuse to go down there.I looked at all of their varieties, but knew that I was limited on what I could get based on the fact that I'd be growing it in a container mostly indoors - ya know, since I live in Boston and all I don't think it would be happy outside in January. While they have some fascinating varieties, I decided to go with a Dwarf Cavendish since it's a popular variety and pretty basic.

It arrived in what looked like a homemade box, so that it would be just the right size to carefully caress the plant on its long voyage. I think I was expecting to open the box and see something like a root ball, but there were actually leaves. Very large, green, healthy looking leaves!

Overall it arrived in GREAT shape. I really couldn't be more pleased with the quality of the plant. I put it in that large container that has been patiently waiting for it and gave it a really good watering. From what I've read, it's hard to over water a banana, though my plant is in a plastic pot, so I may have to be a little more careful.

Right now it just needs water, but it will need some pretty serious fertilizer - I guess they eat like crazy!! Now I'm on the quest to find a good banana fertilizer. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. It's a pretty plant! Good luck with your banana tree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you finally got your banana plant! And I can't wait to see some bananas on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely foliage even without fruit!

    ReplyDelete