Monday, April 11, 2011

Gardeners' Gathering

Several weeks ago (before the homework caught up with me, before I got the flu, and before I got way behind on blogging) I went to the Boston Gardeners' Gathering. It was an informal event with no registration and lots of workshops and lectures on a variety of topics, but with a focus on community gardening.

Mayor Menino was there. He handed out awards for MVG (Most Valuable Gardener), Best New Community Garden, and a few others. I was totally unaware of what an active community gardening area this was.Many area gardening groups and non-profits had information available. I might get into some things this summer, but without a car a few of the events are more than an hour away on the train and I'm lazy...

I stayed for two of the demos/lectures. The first was on canning. Since J got me the canning kit for my birthday I was hoping to learn how to do it right. I got lots of great information and we were able to get a taste of some different jams. The whole room smelled delicious! Can't wait until local berries are up so I can purchase some and try my hand at canning.
Do you can? What do you can and do you use a pressure cooker or just a water bath?

The second lecture was about using edibles in landscaping. I had hoped they might have more information about how to grow those edibles, but a lot of it was just people showing off photos of their gardens. I get the pride and wanting to share, but I'm not sure it was particularly informative.

Overall, it was a great event and I look forward to it next year!

2 comments:

  1. I don't can, but I follow a blog of someone who is very experienced at it!

    http://backyardfarmsto.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds like a really neat event. i just started canning last summer, using all foraged fruit (which i really recommend doing--it's so much more satisfying to make preserves out of free fruit.) in july and august i picked at least 60lbs of apricots, blackberries, plums, apples, crabapples and anything else i could find growing wild, and most of that went into jams and jellies. i also did some pickles, tomatoes and salsa from the garden, but mostly just fruit. and i don't have a pressure canner so i use a water bath.

    ReplyDelete