Monday, May 9, 2011

Apple Issues

I came home on Friday and went out to look at all my plants and found a very unwelcome visitor!



Does anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it? So far I've just been pulling any worm I see off the plant and then disposing of it in a method that is far more violent than it probably needs to be.


I've read that spraying plants with a soap water solution will help, and that you can add cayenne pepper and/or garlic. Has anyone tried that?


Other than the "guests" the apple looks really good I think!

3 comments:

  1. don't pests make you insane? I wish so many unholy things upon the squirrels that are always digging at my containers
    the 3 methods you suggested are what I would try first - or something called neem oil, which I've never used

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People who grow apples in orchards usually apply a mix of dormant oil and lime in spring to protect their trees. However, I would think in your case, the soap and water solution will likely work; apply on an overcast day in the right ratio or your baby leaves will burn. Hope that helps..don't get discouraged..there will always be bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insecticidal soap may help, but I believe what you've got there is a member of the caterpillar family - a leaf roller... blech!

    There is a biological spray you can use called BT (or bacillus thuringiensis). It's a microorganism that's toxic to species of caterpillars. I'd talk to your local garden center and read some labels, as there are species-specific solutions.

    Of course, that said, since your tree is small, you could also just try manual removal... pick those suckers off and drop 'em in a bucket of soapy water! I hope that's helpful. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete